Monday, February 27, 2012

A Strange Odor and Apple Peelings

A STRANGE ODOR

On the Oklahoma farm where I lived when I was a very little girl, my parents began to notice something very strange about me. When I came in from playing outside, they noticed dirt around my mouth and that I had very bad breath. Finally, my mother decided to watch what I did when I went out to play.

The next day when I walked out of the kitchen, Mother stood behind the screen door and watched me head for the garden nearby. I went to the rows of onions and began pulling them up and eating them!

Even at such an early age I liked strong-tasting foods!


APPLE PEELINGS

When my brother Mike and I were little, Mother for some reason thought that apple peelings weren’t good for us although in those days fruit wasn’t sprayed with insecticides and herbicides as it is today. She carefully peeled the apples and quartered them for us to eat.

However, I much preferred the tangy taste of the peelings and while she was peeling and looking away, I would quietly grab some and run to the bedroom and hide under the bed to eat them. I would tell Mike to do the same thing although I doubt if he understood why he should do this. (In those days he usually did what I told him.)

Of course, eventually Mother found us hiding under the bed eating apple peelings and must have realized that they couldn’t have harmed us.

When I told this story to my two youngest grandchildren, they thought it was hilarious that I would have to hide under a bed to eat apple peelings. Of course, I didn't have to do that but I thought I did.

2 comments:

Marja said...

I was the opposite of you. I was a very picky eater, and I was always looking for places to hide the things I didn't want. Somehow my mother always found them, until I smartened up and flushed a few things down the toilet after hiding them in my napkin.

Palmaltas said...

The only time I remember doing something like that was when I hid peas under my plate because Mother said I had to eat them before I could get any dessert. I can't remember why I didn't want to eat those peas.