Sunday, January 29, 2017

Best Books of 2016



In going over my list of the 44 books (my goal was at least 50) that I read last year, I discovered that there were 17 that I had given A+ or A++. They were the ones that gave me the most reading pleasure—the “I can’t put it down” award:

The A++ Books:
The Cain File by Max Tomlinson. I can’t say enough about his books—he blows my mind with each book he writes.
These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer. This shows how varied my reading tastes are. No two writers could be more different than Tomlinson and Heyer.
Guilt Trip by Ben Rehder. His Texas novels reflect a murderous humor similar to that of Carl Hiaasen’s Florida novels.

The A+ Books:
Indiscretion by Polly Iyer. I met Polly in a Suspense/Thriller Promotion group and was intrigued by the description of this book.
Buried for Pleasure by Edmund Crispin
Clammed Up by Barbara Ross, a superb cozy mystery
The Shadow Priest by D.C. Alexander
The Third Knife by Pamela Boles Eglinski
Unpredictable Love by Jean Joachim, a terrific romance novel
Rock with Wings by Anne Hillerman, Tony’s daughter continues his characters in a different but brilliant direction
Too Late to Die by Bill Crider, a new-to-me author whose books I will continue reading
Powder Burn by Carl Hiaasen and Bill Montalbano. Hiaasen never disappoints
The Pearl, The Red Pony and Other Stories by John Steinbeck, I have avoided Steinbeck since my high school days due to a teacher I didn’t like but a friend gave me a book with his stories and now I’m sorry I avoided him for so long
Lethal Dispatch by Max Tomlinson
The After House by Mary Roberts Rinehart, an American mystery writer who came before Agatha Christie
The Ritual Bath by Faye Kellerman, although I’ve read her husband’s books, I had never read hers. Now I will.
The Vanished Man by Jeffery Deaver, I haven’t read many of his Lincoln Rhyme mysteries but look forward to reading more.



2 comments:

Jean Joachim Books said...

Thank you so much, Pat. I'm most honored to be on the A+ list! And I agree about Steinbeck, an old favorite of mine. I am intrigued by some of your other choices and your few words about them. So I will be downloading those, too. Thank you for the recommendations.

Palmaltas said...

Thank you for commenting, Jean. I know we all have different reading tastes but these books all struck a wonderful note with me.